Should I Get a Lawyer for a Minor Car Accident?

If you’re preparing to file a claim after a catastrophic accident that led to severe injuries, you certainly need legal help. But what if your collision was just a fender bender? Do you need a lawyer for minor claims?

The answer to “Should I get a lawyer for a minor car accident?” may not be as clear-cut as you think. If in doubt, call Oklahoma City’s client-focused law office so we can look into your case.

Can You Resolve an Insurance Claim Without a Lawyer?

Sometimes, yes. If you file a minor claim after an accident that didn’t cause a serious injury or significant damage to your car, you may be able to resolve the claim yourself. The problem is that you can’t always evaluate an accident’s consequences on the spot.

That’s why you should always report your accident. In Oklahoma, you must call the police from the accident scene if a collision leads to injuries and report to the Department of Safety if the accident causes property damage of over $300.

However, it’s safest to report a vehicle crash anyway. If the insurance company disputes your claim, the accident report could help you prove the other side violated road safety rules.

Some Seemingly Minor Accidents Can Cause Serious Injuries

You walk out of your vehicle after a minor collision. You feel fine and only notice a few scrapes on your car. You exchange information with the other driver and move on, planning to return to your normal routine. Then, hours or days later, you begin feeling alarming symptoms like dizziness, weakness, or vision loss.

Many people make the critical mistake of assuming their accident didn’t cause any serious damage when, in fact, they can’t know this for sure without a check-up. Some conditions, like a concussion or internal bleeding, might be almost imperceptible at first.

Take no risks and see a doctor right after your accident to rule out hidden injuries. Also, please call your insurance company ASAP to preserve your coverage.

It’s Always Wise To Consult a Lawyer Just in Case

Many car accident attorneys offer free initial consultations. A case evaluation can give you a clearer answer to the question, “Should I get a lawyer for a minor car accident?”

A lawyer can explain who is likely at fault in your case and how the insurance claims process works. They’ll also let you know what damages (like medical bills and lost wages) your settlement should cover. Overall, those who work with an attorney have a higher chance of seeking a fair settlement, even when deducting a lawyer’s fees from the final award.

Injured in a Car Accident? Call Owens Law Office, PC

If you are still wondering, “Should I get a lawyer for a minor car accident?” remember that it’s better to be safe than sorry. Contact Owens Law Office, PC, for fast, reliable legal counsel across Oklahoma. Attorney Phillip P. Owens can help you understand how much your case is worth and provide an estimated car accident settlement timeline.

Call us today at 405-608-0708  or complete our online form to schedule a consultation.

Practice Areas

No Matter What
Your Injury

We can help you make sure you are getting the compensation you are entitled to. At the Owens Law Office, we will help you understand your options. Contact us today for a free initial consultation.

Contact Us